Carolyn West con Violence in the Lives of Black Women: Battered, Black, and Blue (Women & Therapy)Break the silence surrounding Black women's experiences of violence!
Written from a Black feminist perspective by therapists, researchers, activists, and survivors, Violence in the Lives of Black Women: Battered, Black, and Blue sheds new light on an understudied field. For too long, Black women have been suffering the effects of violence in painful silence. This book—winner of the Carolyn Payton Early Career Award for its contribution to the understanding of the role of gender in the lives of Black women—provides a forum where personal testimony and academic research meet to show you how living at the intersection of many kinds of oppression shapes the lives of Black women. With moving case studies, in-depth discussions of activism and resistance, and helpful suggestions for treatment and intervention, this book will help you understand the impact of violence on the lives of Black women.
Topics you'll find in Violence in the Lives of Black Women include:
- using the arts to deal with sexual aggression in the Black community
- racial aspects of sexual harassment
- the consequences of head and brain injuries stemming from abuse
- domestic violence in African-American lesbian relationships
- strategies Black women use to escape violent living situations
- lifelong effects of childhood sexual abuse on Black women's mental health
- references and resources to help you learn more!